Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Second Best: It's just not good enough

I think my single greatest fear is living a life that is second rate or average at best...there, I've said it... It's not falling off a building... Singing the wrong words in the wrong song (been there, done that)...or a shark attack... It's looking back at my life and realizing I never fulfilled my God-given purpose.

The most motivating advice I ever received was a dare to see what God could do with my life if I surrendered it to him. I've always told God that I wanted His best for my life, not what I thought was best. That being said, I've always thought of choosing His best in terms of the "big" life decisions... where to go to school, where to work, who to vote for on SYTYCD*, etc...

Recently, I've realized that the decision to choose God's best or second best or 27th best is made in all of the little decisions that I make on a daily basis. That was such a sobering thought for me. There are so many times that I let the little things slide, but that's not what choosing God's best and living an excellent life looks like. If I am choosing God's best for me during my day to day life, I'm much more apt to choose His best in the bigger life decisions.

1 Cor. 9:24 says "You've all been to the stadium and seen the athletes race. Everyone runs; one wins. Run to win. " (msg)

The race is won in the everyday routine. Athletes train every day so they can win. Choosing God's best in the little, seemingly inconsequential things of life is training. The race is won in the little decisions to remain faithful in the details. It's the small choices you make that prepare you for the prize.

What do your every day decisions say about you? I'm asking you, because I'm not sure I'm ready to ask myself that question. :-)


* So You Think You Can Dance (I love the title. It's got such a demeaning tone. NO! I never said that I can dance.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment