Tuesday, June 23, 2009

No Escape Plan Necessary

When I was a kid I used to pray once and then confidently go about my business (of playing with dolls, of course). I never felt the need to beg or plead with God to try and move his heart. I knew that God answered prayers and that He loved me. That was all I needed.

Looking back, I have to say that I am amazed at how He always came through for me. From providing sunshine for the water park to providing wonderful, long awaited siblings.

Somewhere along the line, I grew up. I got a job. I started paying bills. I moved out on my own and I started to believe that I could handle it. Yeah, sure, of course I still prayed, but I recognized that I started to provide God with an escape plan. I mean, come on, I didn't want to be a bother. He's got more important things to do. Perhaps He has a bigger plan... and so on and so forth... and before I knew it, I had rationalized myself out of truly believing that God answers my prayers. Yes, He answers prayers, but mine.. hmmm... well... ummm...

Recently, it hit me. God is a BIG God. He created the universe, created me, controls my life... ummm... who am I to map out an escape plan for Him? I can still believe Him with a childlike confidence. I don't need to add a footnote to my prayer that says I won't hold Him liable for not answering my prayer. I can pray for big things, because He's a big God.

There's nothing that God can not do. period.


0 comments:

Post a Comment